- an oddity or peculiarity, as of conduct.
- the quality of being eccentric.
- the amount by which something is eccentric.
- Machinery: the distance between the centres of two cylindrical objects one of which surrounds the other, as between an eccentric and the shaft on which it is mounted.
- Mathematics: a constant expressed as the ratio of the distance from a point on a conic to a focus and the distance from the point to the directrix.
Etymology: from Middle French excentrique, from Mediaeval Latin excentricus, from Ancient Greek ἔκκεντρος (ékkentros, “not having the earth as the centre of an orbit”), from ἐκ (ek, “out”) + κέντρον (kéntron, “point”).
[Taming of the Shrew, Vladimir Kush]